Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Pesto Halibut

Photo 003sm
I am typically quite terrified of fish. In the past, I think I have rushed things. Maybe my pan was too hot. Or, I flipped a steak too soon. Or, I overseasoned. I don’t always know where I have gone wrong but I know that disappointment of a filet that fell apart or of drawing every bit of moisture out of something that was once completely engulfed in it. *tear*

I have pledged to become better at cooking fish. Slow it down. Think about things before I begin. Because once you put that fish to the fire, you really don’t have much time to fuss about and weigh your options before you’ve killed the fish a second time.



Pesto Halibut
 
Ingredients:
1 filet of halibut (I had a roughly 400g piece, from which I will get two very sizable portions.)
1 heaping tablespoon of mayonnaise
1 1/2 tablespoons of pesto (Taste your pesto before cooking! You don’t want to salt the fish, if the pesto more than covers those bases for you.)
1/2 cup (at best) panko bread crumbs

You, like I did before you, can handle this. In short, it is glob, glob, stir, spread, sprinkle, bake. Easy, right?

HAHAHAHAHA.

Ok. Buy fish. Return home. Take fish from packet. Pat dry.

Heat your oven to 400 F. Mix together the mayonnaise and pesto. If it needs a little bit more, season accordingly. If not, spread mixture on top of the halibut. Top with the sprinkling of bread crumbs.

Photo 001sm
Put fish into the oven for roughly ~12 minutes, then broil for two minutes longer to brown the crumbs and crisp the fish.**

This was soooooo simple and good… and even reheated well, which is shocking for fish.

**I would have liked my bread crumbs to have ended up a bit darker… however it was in turning on the broiler to finish this recipe that I discovered my broiler didn’t work. Fail… oh well, what can you do?!

1 thought(s):

Unknown said...

Your breadcrumbs might brown better if you brush egg over the fish before applying the breadcrumbs. I think.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails